The Power Of Names Magalys Not So Secret Writing Project

The Power Of Names Magalys Not So Secret Writing Project
I believe that there is power in names; knowing someone's real name gives certain advantages to the person who has the information, and I will go as far as to say that the right appellation can contribute to a person's, thing's, city's, plant's... charm.

Terry Pratchett does an amazing job when naming his witches and his books. Think Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, Tiffany Aching, Greebo, "Equal Rites, Carpe Jugulum"... the man is brilliant. I would never compare myself to my Knight Writer, but I do take my time when choosing names for my characters. How many of you thought about Belladonna Wisely after you read the last sentence?

I'm working on the first draft of a novel currently titled SCARRED. A writer friend critiqued one of the chapters and said, "The name of your heroine speaks of power, mystery, tenderness and no nonsense. I hate you because you always come up with great names, w(b)itch!"

ALMA MIA CIENFUEGOS - In Spanish, the name of my main female character means 'my soul one-hundred-fires', and my luvs, that is exactly who Alma Mia Cienfuegos is. She is affected by life and reactive to its dealings. She is a Witch of her times. She is her own most important person. And those who touch her life will receive warmth or flames, depending on their intentions.

ALEXANDER PARKER - SCARRED's main male character has a less descriptive name, unless you are a Spider-Man fan, and appreciate the brains, talent, and courage of Peter Parker. No, he isn't a superhero in the web-shooting-tights-wearing sense. His power to defend and protect is very human, and it comes directly from a heart that is so big that it barely fits in his sexy chest. He'll need all that goodness, and then some, to penetrate the shields Alma Mia has placed around her witchy heart.

JULIAN VAN DYKE - This man is one of the reasons why Alma Mia had to shield herself from the rest of the world. He is intelligent, good looking, abusive (even if doesn't see it), and absolutely full of himself. His name is a combination of Julian Brashir and a guy with the last name Van Dyke, who has caused enough pain in this life to make me really dislike him all the way until the next.

You'll meet many characters with descriptive names in SCARRED: SOLEDAD, ATTILA, MARISOL, ASIA BLACK, MANDINGO... but you'll have to wait until you read the novel (After I, um... publish it) to learn why their names feel so fitting to me.

Do you believe in the power of names? Also, what are a few of your favorite names witchy in fiction? Why do you find them meaningful and appropriate for the characters?

THE WINNER OF "THE TROUBLE WITH SPELLS" BY LACEY WEATHERFORD LISA R from Lisa's Loves (Books of Course)Please send me your mailing info, via my contact form.The title of the giveaway should be your subject line.Congrats, my Wicked Darling!

8TH WICKED DARLING GUESTS' DIGEST


* Sarita's Library - "Yarn Magic" in fiction, how cool is that?! You must stop by and check out how Grandmother brings her yarn to life, to serve the most practical of purposes.

* In case you haven't noticed, I've merged the daily post and digest into one (after Judy told me that I have to stop posting like an insane person *grin*). In case you missed this one, do check Lost in Astral Space's Witches in Fiction Giveaway. It's hot!

TODAY'S GIVEAWAY (April 21st)Gothic Postcards and Earrings from Mistress Rae's Decadent Designs

For the enjoyment of three lucky Wicked Darlings!

Share



Credit: ceremonial-magic.blogspot.com