Wednesday In The Word A Proud Mind Vs A Humble Mind

Wednesday In The Word A Proud Mind Vs A Humble Mind
Several years ago, I read a devotional by Pastor Paul Chappell of Lancaster Baptist Church concerning the proud mind vs. the humble mind. As I read the following list of characteristics for each mindset, the Lord pricked my heart on several points concerning the proud mind. I had to spend a few minutes in prayer, asking the Lord to root out the pride that so often characterizes my thoughts and actions during the day, and to please replace those with "the mind of Christ," a humble mind. It was high time to get real! I looked for the original devotion, but wasn't able to find it. Here are some characteristics of a proud mind as opposed to a humble mind:

A PROUD MIND


God gave me great abilities, and I know how they can best be used.

I doubt God by wondering why others are preferred or blessed before me.

I accept praise for a job well done.

I never ask for help. Instead I find a way to do a project on my own, even if this means with the wrong spirit, wrong heart, or wrong motive.

I am aggressive, arrogant, boastful, and vain.

I say, "Me first."

I welcome anger and bring up the past.

I wonder when God is going to bless me next.

"God resisteth the proud,"-1 Peter 5:5

A HUMBLE MIND


I know greatness is not in me, it is Christ working through me.

I praise God when others are preferred or blessed before me.

I accept responsibility for my mistakes and deflect any praise of success to my Lord.

I ask for help when I know I cannot do a project on my own.

I am courteous and respectful of others no matter their position in life.

I say, "No, you first, my friend."

I dissipate anger and heal old wounds.

I look for ways to bless others.

"God...giveth grace to the humble."-1 Peter 5:5 May we constantly be striving to bring our thoughts captive to Christ and seeking to have the mind of Christ in all that we do! Susan Hutchens, ByGraceMissionary WifeNorth Vancouver, BC, Canada

Reference: asatru-religion.blogspot.com