The20Epistle20Of20Ignatius20To20The20Philadelphians20En

The20Epistle20Of20Ignatius20To20The20Philadelphians20En
THE EPISTLE OF IGNATIUS TO THE PHILADELPHIANSTranslated by J.B. Lightfoot. Adapt. and mod. (c) 1990. ATHENA DATA PRODUCTSIgnPhla prologue:1Ignatius, who is also Theophorus, to the church of God the Father andof Jesus Christ, which is in Philadelphia of Asia which hath foundmercy and is firmly established in the concord of God and rejoicethin the passion of our Lord and in His resurrection without wavering,being fully assured in all mercy; which church I salute in the bloodof Jesus Christ, that is eternal and abiding joy more especially ifthey be at one with the bishop and the presbyters who are with him,and with the deacons that have been appointed according to the mindof Jesus Christ, whom after His own will He confirmed and establishedby His Holy Spirit.IgnPhla 1:1 This your bishop I have found to hold the ministry which pertainethto the common weal, not of himself or through men, nor yet for vainglory, but in the love of God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.And I am amazed at his forbearance;IgnPhla 1:2whose silence is more powerful than others speech. For he is attunedin harmony with the commandments, as a lyre with its strings.Wherefore my soul blesseth his godly mind, for I have found that itis virtuous and perfect--even the imperturbable and calm temper whichhe hath, while living in all godly forbearance.IgnPhla 2:1 As children therefore [of the light] of the truth, shun division andwrong doctrines; and where the shepherd is, there follow ye as sheep.IgnPhla 2:2For many specious wolves with baneful delights lead captive therunners in God's race; but, where ye are at one, they will find noplace.IgnPhla 3:1 Abstain from noxious herbs, which are not the husbandry of JesusChrist, because they are not the planting of the Father. Not that Ihave found division among you, but filtering.IgnPhla 3:2For as many as are of God and of Jesus Christ, they are with thebishop; and as many as shall repent and enter into the unity of theChurch, these also shall be of God, that they may be living afterJesus Christ. Be not deceived, my brethren.IgnPhla 3:3If any man followeth one that maketh a schism, he doth not inheritthe kingdom of God. If any man walketh in strange doctrine, hehath no fellowship with the passion.IgnPhla 4:1 Be ye careful therefore to obscene one eucharist (for there is oneflesh of our Lord Jesus Christ and one cup unto union in His blood;there is one altar, as there is one bishop, together with thepresbytery and the deacons my fellow-servants), that whatsoever yedo, ye may do it after God.IgnPhla 5:1 My brethren, my heart overfloweth altogether in love towards you;and rejoicing above measure I watch over your safety; yet not I, butJesus Christ, wearing whose bonds I am the more afraid, because I amnot yet perfected. But your prayer will make me perfect [unto God],that I may attain unto the inheritance wherein I have found mercy,taking refuge in the Gospel as the flesh of Jesus and in the Apostlesas the presbytery of the Church.IgnPhla 5:2Yea, and we love the prophets also, because they too pointed to theGospel in their preaching and set their hope on Him and awaited Him;in whom also having faith they were saved in the unity of JesusChrist, being worthy of all love and admiration as holy men, approvedof Jesus Christ and numbered together in the Gospel of our commonhope.IgnPhla 6:1 But if any one propound Judaism unto you, hear him not: for it isbetter to hear Christianity from a man who is circumcised thanJudaism from one uncircumcised. But if either the one or the otherspeak not concerning Jesus Christ, I look on them as tombstones andgraves of the dead, whereon are inscribed only the names of men.IgnPhla 6:2Shun ye therefore the wicked arts and plottings of the prince of thisworld, lest haply ye be crushed by his devices, and wax weak in yourlove. But assemble yourselves all together with undivided heart. AndIgnPhla 6:3I give thanks to my God, that I have a good conscience in my dealingswith you, and no man can boast either in secret or openly, that I wasburdensome to any one in small things or in great. Yea and for allamong whom I spoke, it is my prayer that they may not turn it into atestimony against themselves.IgnPhla 7:1 For even though certain persons desired to deceive me after theflesh, yet the spirit is not deceived, being from God; for itknoweth whence it cometh and whence it goeth, and it searcheth outthe hidden things. I cried out, when I was among you; I spake with aloud voice, with God's own voice, Give ye heed to the bishop and thepresbytery and deacons.IgnPhla 7:2Howbeit there were those who suspected me of saying this, because Iknew beforehand of the division of certain persons. But He in whom Iam bound is my witness that I learned it not from flesh of man; itwas the preaching of the Spirit who spake on this wise; Do nothingwithout the bishop; keep your flesh as a temple of God; cherishunion; shun divisions; be imitators of Jesus Christ, as He Himselfalso was of His Father.IgnPhla 8:1 I therefore did my own part, as a man composed unto union. But wherethere is division and anger, there God abideth not. Now the Lordforgiveth all men when they repent, if repenting they return to theunity of God and to the council of the bishop. I have faith in thegrace of Jesus Christ, who shall strike off every fetter from you;and I entreat you,IgnPhla 8:2Do ye nothing in a spirit of factiousness but after the teaching ofChrist. For I heard certain persons saying, If I find it not in thecharters, I believe it not in the Gospel. And when I said to them, Itis written, they answered me That is the question. But as for me, mycharter is Jesus Christ, the inviolable charter is His cross and Hisdeath and His resurrection, and faith through Him; wherein I desireto be justified through your prayers.IgnPhla 9:1 The priests likewise were good, but better is the High-priest towhom is committed the holy of holies; for to Him alone are committedthe hidden things of God; He Himself being the door of the Father,through which Abraham and Isaac and Jacob enter in, and the Prophetsand the Apostles and the whole Church; all these things combine inthe unity of God.IgnPhla 9:2But the Gospel hath a singular preeminence in the advent of theSavior, even our Lord Jesus Christ, and His passion andresurrection. For the beloved Prophets in their preaching pointed toHim; but the Gospel is the completion of immortality. All thingstogether are good, if ye believe through love.IgnPhla 10:1 Seeing that in answer to your prayer and to the tender sympathywhich ye have in Christ Jesus, it hath been reported to me that thechurch which is in Antioch of Syria hath peace, it is becoming foryou, as a church of God, to appoint a deacon to go thither as God'sambassador, that he may congratulate them when they are assembledtogether, and may glorify the Name.IgnPhla 10:2Blessed in Jesus Christ is he that shall be counted worthy of such aministration; and ye yourselves shall be glorified. Now if ye desireit, it is not impossible for you to do this for the name of God; evenas the churches which are nearest have sent bishops, and otherspresbyters and deacons.IgnPhla 11:1 But as touching Philo the deacon from Cilicia, a man of good report,who now also ministereth to me in the word of God, together withRhaius Agathopus, an elect one who followeth me from Syria, havingbidden farewell to this present life; the same who also bear witnessto you--and I myself thank God on your behalf, because ye receivedthem, as I trust the Lord will receive you. But may those who treatedthem with dishonor be redeemed through the grace of Jesus Christ.IgnPhla 11:2The love of the brethren which are in Troas saluteth you; from whencealso I write to you by the hand of Burrhus, who was sent with me bythe Ephesians and Smyrnaeans as a mark of honor. The Lord shall honorthem, even Jesus Christ, on whom their hope is set in flesh and souland spirit, by faith, love, and by concord. Fare ye well in ChristJesus our common hope.

Source: master-of-tarot.blogspot.com